added by archaeologs An excavated Maori pa (hillfort) on a small island in the South Kaipara Harbour, North Island, New Zealand. The site has three defensive phases from the 14th-18th centuries ad, and after 1500 its inner citadel was defended by palisades and large raised fighting platforms. Cultural affiliations are Classic Maori. See also Kauri point, pa, Tirimoana.
The Macmillan dictionary of archaeology, Ruth D. Whitehouse, 1983